Due to the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, we will announce our upcoming show as soon as we can. The Society is exploring all options to bring you a production as soon as it is safe to do so. We are in consultation with Public Health officials and Lakeshore Catholic High School to ensure a safe return for our members and our patrons. We can't wait to see you all again!
About Port Colborne Operatic Society
The oldest amateur theatre company in Niagara, Port Colborne Operatic Society has been presenting their annual musical production since 1945. Since it's humble beginnings on the stage at the old INCO (now Vale) hall, the society has called the 600 seat theatre at Lakeshore Catholic High School (formerly Lockview Park Secondary High School) home since it opened. The volunteer cast and crew devote countless hours to making the annual production an unforgettable experience for our audiences. Not just for fun, the Society is a serious supporter of charitable causes with all monies above production costs benefiting charities including the Port Colborne Festival of the Arts, Toronto Sick Kids Hospital, Santa’s Helpers, Arts scholarships for local High School students and more.
Getting Involved - How You Can Help
- Actors/actresses – lead roles, male and female, minor leads, bit parts.
- Chorus – crowd scenes, singing and dancing.
- Dancers – some dancers for chorus numbers and specialty dancers for more challenging numbers.
- Back stage crew – to change sets between scenes, work in the fly gallery raising and lowering sets.
- Set construction – help design and build all the sets needed for the show.
- Props – search out and obtain the props needed for authenticity of each show. Make sure props are ready when needed for the cast to use on stage.
- Sound – place mikes and other sound equipment to ensure that all stage activity is clearly heard by the audience – produce and provide special sound effects when needed.
- Lighting – set up stage lighting – produce and provide special lighting effects when needed.
- Make-up – put make-up on members of the cast before each show. Learn how to do complicated make-up for character roles.
- Prompter – provide cues for actors if they happen to forget what their next line is.
- Social – assist in set up, service, and clean-up of refreshments during rehearsals and other functions. Assist in the developing of social events, organizing them, and carrying them out.
- Canvassers for program ads – visit new and past advertisers to get ads for our show program.
- Community Partners/Sponsors committee – Seek our new Sponsors and maintain past Sponsors. These Sponsors/Community Partners are a major source of funding for the Society.
- Concession stand – sell snacks and drinks at intermission during the run of the show.
- Coat check – check coats in the lobby for the theater-goers comfort.
- Usher – lead the theater-goers to their seats.
- Ticket sales – assist the ticket manager in all aspects of ticket sales. Make ticket announcements during rehearsals, pick up tickets at the Roselawn box office, and deliver, during rehearsals. Assist in the delivery of flyers and brochures about tickets.
- Group Sales - Assist in developing a sales staff for group sales
- Fundraising – brain-storm for ideas on how to raise money for the Society such as the PCOS Scholarship Fund, or funds for capital project or equipment
- Promotions – assist the Publicity Chairperson in all aspects of advertising and/or promoting the Society and our annual production.
- Community service hours – students are able to get credit for their community hours needed by volunteering in some function.
A peek at our 2019 show, Mamma Mia:
Shows take place at Lakeshore Catholic High School, 150 Janet St, Port Colborne, ON